WIC is a government funded program with the initiative that follows, “The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) is a short-term intervention program designed to influence lifetime nutrition and health behaviors in a targeted, high-risk population.”
The WIC website goes on to state
What are WIC Health Outcomes?
Numerous studies show that WIC is effective and helps:
- Reduce premature births
- Reduce low and very low birth-weight babies
- Reduce fetal and infant deaths
- Reduce the incidence of low-iron anemia
- Increase access to prenatal care earlier in pregnancy
- Increase pregnant women’s consumption of key nutrients such as iron, protein, calcium, and Vitamins A and C
- Increase immunization rates
- Improve diet quality
- Increase access to regular health care
Also, we have a WIC program right here in Boone County. See below for details.